Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chocolate and Peanut Butter...oh my!




I'm a major sweet tooth, I have to have something sweet after each meal- no matter what I eat it just doesn't feel right without something to top it off!  Well Monday night, the usual  chocolate and yogurt options we had in the house just weren't cutting it...I wanted more, I wanted bigger!  I went to bed that night craving a Reese's, oh how happy that peanut butter and chocolate combination would have made me.

I began to think about the Nestle's dark chocolate morsels I had in the fridge and the peanut butter hanging out in the cabinet and I decided I was going to make my own peanut butter cups- why not...couldn't be too hard, right?!  I spent some time (too much time!) Tuesday morning searching Pinterest for peanut butter cup recipes (never a good idea on a Tuesday morning when you have to get to work!).  I found several, ok- tons, but none of them seemed right, none of them seemed easy enough!  I flipped through a number of recipes, some calling for butter, some calling for you to mix the peanut butter in with the chocolate, some calling for sugar, or a combination of the above ingredients.  Nothing I wanted to get into on a Tuesday so I decided to go it alone!

I figured one thing I needed to keep was the extra powdered sugar mixed into the peanut butter- that would make it just a bit sweeter and when you're making candy- what's a little extra sweetness, right?!   I also knew that would cut some of the creaminess that jarred peanut butter normally has and make it more of the spongy/ crumbly texture you find in a Reese's!

I ended up making two different batches- one using a Skippy peanut butter and powdered sugar combination and one using PB2 and nothing else added!   I have taken a real liking to PB2 lately, I have found it's a great substitute for peanut butter and since it's a powder- it's great for mixing into yogurt which that creamy, gooey peanut butter doesn't do so well.  Since I had some lying around I figured I'd try it out!



Method:
I lined  a muffin tin with some cupcake liners (I used the full size cupcake liners- no small peanut butter cups here!) then melted some of the dark chocolate morsels I had in the fridge.  Chocolate burns easily when melting so stop it every 30 seconds and stir.  Once the chocolate begins to melt, it will continue to melt while you stir it so you can take it out of the microwave early!  I poured some of the melted chocolate into the cupcake liners- filling them up about 1/4 of an inch each.  Be sure you place them in the freezer for 5 or more minutes to harden before taking them out for the peanut butter layer!  While they are hardening, mix the peanut butter/ confectioner's sugar layer together.  I used equal parts peanut butter and sugar- it will be pretty sweet but I definitely reached that spongy/ crumbly texture I was looking for and hey, it's candy!  Once that is done, take the hardened chocolate from the freezer and gently layer the peanut butter on top.  I may have put a little too much (like 1/2 an inch of peanut butter!) but one can never have too much peanut butter!  Put the tin back in the freezer for another 5 minutes to set up before taking it out to pour on the remaining chocolate.  Place them back in the freezer and voilĂ - yummy peanut butter cups!

Question of the day: What is your favorite candy?
Link of the day: Fun Peanut Facts!



No comments:

Post a Comment