Tuesday, November 5, 2013

To marathon or not to marathon...

Hi All!  Yes, I know it's been two months (how did that time go so quickly?!) since I'v posted my thoughts but I am going to try and make this a more regular occurrence...yes I said try ;)

Currently I'm in the process of deciding whether to run another marathon or not.  I ran one back in February of this year and if I'm trying to decide whether to do another marathon or not.  Shortly after the race I read a quote that has stayed with me through the year and is currently playing a big role in my thought process lately.

You are ready to run your next marathon when you have forgotten the previous marathon.

I can't remember where I saw this quote but I found it to be the most truth I'd heard to that point...now, 8.5 months later, when a new racing season is about to begin and yes, I have forgotten the pain and trouble of running my previous marathon- I'm thinking about attempting the impossible once more!   I've forgotten the feeling of mile 16 of a 20 mile training run when you're headed home and almost there- but still have 4 LONG miles to go.  I've forgotten the joy of waking up at 7 am on a random Saturday to be sure I've hydrated and fueled up for that 20 mile training run and I've forgotten the fun (can you sense the sarcasm) of mile 24 during the marathon when all your body wants to do is stop but you know you not only need to keep going, but to speed up to be sure you hit the finish line strong.  

Yes, I've forgotten all of the "joy" that comes along with training for an running a marathon- could it be time to do it all again?

Question of the day: What does your next few months of racing look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment