Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins!


I follow a lot of Blogs...I work from home and although I have a zoo of animals it can get a bit lonely in my office all day.  I need a break from the stress of work so I hope on Bloglovin to read all of my favorite blogs. Every time a recipe is posted I always think I'm going to make it for some reason or another and of course I never do.  Well this one is different! I have been dreaming of these Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins I read about on Peanut Butter Fingers a while back (although the recipe was posted 2 years ago I only recently found the recipe).  Since I've been pretty bored with desserts lately and didn't want another overly sugary recipe since I ate an elephant's weight in sugar over the Thanksgiving break, I decided this was the time to try!

I opened up the recipe, got out my mixer and got to work!  I made a few changes to the recipe but I have to say, the recipe was incredibly simple...and tasty!   I cut the sugar in half and only used 1/4 cup of oil instead of the 1/3 cup Julie calls for in the recipe but they don't bounce like many fat free or lower fat recipes do! In fact they were super most and even a bit crumbly!  I swapped out the vegetable oil for coconut oil as I had bought it several months back and don't use it very often so I take every opportunity I get to use it in a recipe!  I also added in 1 tsp of vanilla extract- I LOVE vanilla extract in baked goods and often find that it adds a subtle sweet flavor to the dish without adding any extra sugar!  Couldn't hurt, right?!  I only made 10 muffins in my recipe (I don't like wimpy muffins) and they turned out just the right size to eat 2 at a time!
I didn't use muffin wrappers, after my Thanksgiving corn muffin experience I decided to stay away from those for a while (I think the wrappers ate more of the muffins than we did!).  I also used instant oats as that was all I had one hand and found that some of the oats still held a slightly crunch texture, almost as if there were tiny pieces of nuts in the recipe!  Would I change anything next time?  No, I don't think so- although not very sweet at all, they were a perfect mid day (and after dinner) snack!  These muffins would even make a great breakfast with some lightly whipped cream cheese!  If you have 20 minutes of free time this weekend whip up a batch- they take about 5 minutes to prepare and 15 to bake!

Question of the day: What has been your favorite pumpkin recipe this fall?

Link of the day: Huffington Post's 8 Health Benefits of Pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment