Monday, March 3, 2014

A Relaxing Sunday Begins with Pancakes!

Sundays are meant to be lazy, relaxing days- right?!  Well, around here with so much going on we rarely have a relaxing Sunday as the day is normally used to continue getting done what we didn't during the week.  Well this Sunday was different, the plan was to shut down and just relax- and we did....well, sort of.


I'm a sucker for trying now things and for healthy recipes so about a week ago when I saw a Maple- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Pancake Recipe on one of my favorite blogs Carrots 'N' Cake I knew I had to put that on the list to try.  When Thursday came and I was making my grocery list I made sure to put a sweet potato down as I knew I had all of the other ingredients.  Well, they turned out just about amazing!  I tweaked a few things of course to make them fit my lifestyle.  The changes I made were using whole wheat flour instead of almond flour as I'm not gluten intolerant so I don't want to spend the big bucks on almond flour and adding in a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I've been using Tera's Whey recently and love it!) for some extra staying power!  The protein powder didn't change the taste of the pancakes at all so next time I plan to add two full scoops of powder for that extra 5g of protein per serving and then an extra Tbsp of maple syrup to keep the consistency the same.  For now, here is the recipe I used:
Serves 2 
1/2 c mashed sweet potato
1/3 c whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Combine all ingredients in a blender or mixer and mix until well combined.  Using a pre-heated skillet (to ensure fluffier pancakes) pour pancakes onto the pan with 1/4 c scoops making sure not to overcrowd the skillet.  Once the pancakes begin to bubble the cakes are ready to flip.  They only take about a minute once flipped until they'er finished so be sure to keep an eye on them! This recipe will make 4 pancakes.

I added some sliced almonds per original recipe suggestion and of course some more maple syrup as the pancakes themselves are not very sweet but that just means you're allowed to add more syrup, right?!  Next time I would most likely add some sliced bananas on top as well!

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Sunday morning of weekend breakfast?

Link of the day: More Yummy Pancake Recipes from FitSugar!



No comments:

Post a Comment