Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I'm back (again and with two new smoothie recipes)!


Well things have been super crazy around here yet again (hopefully more to come on that later) which has shifted my focus from jumping on to write this little blog to other things like working and helping to run my house of animals!  I have realized over the past week that too many good things have been going on in my kitchen (and in my runs!) to stay away from the blog waves for too long so here I am! Over the next few days I will recap several new recipes I have cooked up (yes, pun intended) plus my last race of the season (remember, I live in Florida and it's about to get H-O-T!).  I also plan to be a spectator (for the first time!) at a 1/2 marathon this Sunday and want to blog about what it's like to be the spectator when I'm normally the runner!!

So lots of good things planned but bear with me as I find the time to get them all out here :)  And yes, there will be mouth watering pictures ahead as well!  For now, let's recap my first recent culinary success- smoothies!

I have always had a love for smoothies and reading so many other bloggers' recaps of their days, I see smoothies pop in there all the time! I always get a smoothie craving when I do but the problem is, smoothies don't fill me up- not in the least!  I always end up throwing them by the wayside in favor of something more filling, solid food!  Well, although my recent smoothies are certainly NOT a meal replacement (warning: they definitely don't fill you up!) I have found two great recipes that are both fairly low in calories and work perfectly as an after lunch sweet snack (or post-workout hit of protein!).


Strawberry- Vanilla Protein Smoothie
(serves 1)

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I've been using Tera's Whey)
1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 medium banana (frozen or not- I don't freeze it but the smoothie will remain colder if you do!)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp Guar Gum (I use Bob's Red Mill but Xanthum Gum would work as well if you have that instead)
Sort of Optional (but it makes them so great I went out and bought it!): whipped cream and cinnamon dusting

Stick it all (with the exception of the optional topping) in a blender and blend away!  I use the guar gum to give it stability and thickness.  In my opinion it makes the smoothie more filling and feel more like I'm having a meal which in turn works with the protein to (in my mind) fill me up longer!

Other optional toppings: sliced almonds, shredded coconut, peanut butter or PB2, chocolate chips!

Vanilla- Banana Protein Smoothie
(serves 1)
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (Again, Tera's Whey is what I have been using- nutrition will differ depending on what brand you use)
1/2 medium banana (frozen or not- I don't freeze it but the smoothie will remain colder if you do!)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp Guar Gum (I use Bob's Red Mill but Xanthum Gum would work as well if you have that instead)
I haven't yet topped mine with whipped cream but I definitely recommend it!

Again, stick it all in a blender and blend away!  This would be great topped with some peanut/ almond butter or even crushed up nuts!

Next up: Protein Pancakes!

Question of the Day: What recipes have you tried lately?
                                    Have they worked or have you had to tweak them several times?  I have had
                                    several failures as well over the past few weeks but that only made me want to
                                    tweak them and make them work!

Link of the Day: Eating Well's Health Benefits of Juicing VS Smoothies- Why Smoothies Are the Winner!

I'd love to hear about any recent recipes you have made as I'm always looking for new breakfasts, lunches, and dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment