Thursday, March 27, 2014

Protein Pancake Round 2

So this has pretty much become my new morning staple!  I have had some variation of this Vanilla protein pancake every day for the past week and a half and yes, I even threw in two once day last week and had a two ingredient (well, I added in a few more!) banana pancake for lunch...syrup included!  

I have read several bloggers' "protein pancake" recipes and really began to take an interest as my cravings for pancakes grew!  Pancakes and all of their calories and not so healthful qualities usually find their place on Saturday or Sunday mornings, plus it can be tough to find or create a recipe for single serving pancakes.  That's when I decided to try out some of these recipes, why not have a pancake on a Tuesday morning!

The first couple of recipes I tried just didn't work- I took them directly from other bloggers and they turned out just too 'eggy' and the texture, although not bad, wasn't "pancake quality" so I went back to the drawing board!  I ultimately came up with a recipe that not only has a very similar texture to pancakes but also has about 25 grams of protein (closer to 35 if you use two scoops of protein powder!) and is easy to make on a weekday morning and is of course, a single serving recipe!

Vanilla Protein Pancake:
(Serves 1)

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use Tera's Whey)- you can use two if you want but I would add in an extra egg white or 2 Tbsp egg whites from a carton as it will be a bit dry with two scoops!
2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg whites from a carton
1/3 cup quick oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk

I dump everything in a bowl and whisk it together until everything is evenly combined.  I spray (with cooking spray though coconut oil on the pan would be a great change of pace!) about an 8 inch skillet and put the stove on medium heat.  Once it's warm but not hot I pour the batter in the pan and cover it!  Covering the pan allows the top of the pancake to cook while not burning the bottom as the pancake will be thick!  Let it cook just below medium heat for 4-5 minutes then flip.  I cover the pan once more and cook about another 4 minutes.  Although it doesn't look like much batter in the pan the pancake will really inflate while cooking.  I have found that I am pretty much full for about 3-4 hours after this breakfast!

I normally drench my pancake in sugar free syrup but have added toppings such as sliced almonds, grated unsweetened coconut, bananas, even cinnamon or cocoa powder!  I am about to run out of my syrup (tear) so until I go shopping again it looks like it will be PB2 for a topping tomorrow!  


Question of the Day: What alternative pancake recipes are your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment